TESCO hired a contractor to SHOOT endangered wild sparrows in its Dalrymple Street store.
Old Codger
2008-03-22 16:47:37 UTC
TESCO hired a contractor to SHOOT DEAD endangered wild sparrows in its
Dalrymple Street store.

http://tinyurl.com/2lu9yg
The cheeky chirpers had been spotted in the store by a member of the
public who filmed them on a mobile phone, sparking fears the birds
could pose a health risk.

A Tesco insider has now revealed the sparrows were shot at dawn.

The insider said: “They shut the shop at 6.15am.I saw two guys. They
had a long box and brought out what looked like a rifle.

“I couldn’t tell if it was an air rifle, or a real gun, but it looked
like a rifle with a telescopic lense on it.

“I saw them shoot one bird and saw it hit the deck. The shop was shut
for about half an hour while they did it.

“I’ve worked in other places where birds have got in and they used a
net to catch them alive.”

Wildlife campaigners have reacted to the cull with outrage.

Inverclyde animal rescuer Karen Wrigley said: “If they had just called
us we would have been more than happy to come in and assess the
situation and help.

“It’s really important declining

species like this are kept alive if at all possible.

“It would have been nice to have been given the opportunity to try and
get these birds out alive. We’ve done it before in supermarkets, banks
and council premises, gone in and got the birds out successfully and
still alive.”

Sparrows are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, but a
loophole in Scots law allows landowners to kill the birds to preserve
public health or safety.

If the birds had flown into a store in England, Tesco would have acted
illegally by shooting them.

Sparrows have suffered a massive decline across the UK and are on the
RSPB’s endangered ‘red-list’.

They have been known to spread salmonella and West Nile virus, which
can be fatal to humans.

A Tesco spokesperson said they were responding to complaints from
customers.

The spokesperson added: “Rentokil was called in and the sparrows were
disposed of.

“At the end of the day, sparrows are not endangered or protected.

“All measures were tried to get the sparrows out in a nice way. In the
end it didn’t work.

“Rentokil do a good job. It’s all completely humane. They are an
accredited agency. They were called in and that is the end of the
issue.”

By Ewan Fergus

Published: Monday, 10th March, 2008 16:30

Comments
Log in or Register to post a comment

JoeLogue

Mar 11 08 03:30

Our Ref: 335

Use the ref number if you need to report this comment
I was moved by the plight of the Sparrows and also appreciate that we
need to be clean and safe in our shops. However, killing the sparrows
was not a very

nice way to win over customers. I have written a wee

poem to capture that moment when a sledgehammer was

used to crack a (very small) nut.

POEM - Spare the Sparrows by Hugh Logue 09/03/2008

I trundled doon the aisles being a sqeaking barrow

catching me lugs were some broon sparras

for a place to perch they found a shop strange!

Sparras are organic - the shop said free-range

As God's creatures, be it lost or found

plighting roond the shop making a chirping sound!

having lost their way they couldnae get oot

they're no intae veggies or intae fruit,

If 'Every Little Helps' do sparrows hinder trade?

It's the Greenock West Nile virus - we must all evade

Our Sparras canny vector jist any disease

'Cos they wash every day - especially their knees

They are on them noo - begging for their lives

Don't ''stamp their cards' spare their wives

Freed to tell their mates - they shouldnae follow suit

Give them a chance - for they are kinda cute!

These wee creatures are on the straight and narrow

being heaven-sent it shocks us to the marrow

It wisnae bread or seed that brought them in

just the warmth of Greenock and their Kin

Fired frae Tesco's for stalking its shelves

With the Sparras deid, the shop pleases itself

Sparras have no vote, they really have no say

If God's a big sparra, it'll be hot on their day!
Old Codger
2008-03-22 17:00:10 UTC
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:47:37 +0000, Old Codger
Post by Old Codger
[...]
Tesco don't usually give a toss about customer complaints but you
could try complaining to the CEOTesco
Terry Leahy, Chief Executive ***@tescoDOTcom
Old Codger
2008-03-22 20:04:11 UTC
Post by Old Codger
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:47:37 +0000, Old Codger
Not a word in either post. Pete the troll is performing the old 'forge
headers and copy and paste garbage' trick again.
Post by Old Codger
Tesco don't usually give a toss about customer complaints but you
could try complaining to the CEOTesco
As Pete never reads what he posts and desires only to provoke
argument it is safest to assume that anything he espouses is
at least unsafe and probably malicious.
--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field